Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Name Card: Mission Reflection

Q1. Name each step of design thinking process and how did you implement it during the name card project - Explain in detail
     Empathise: My partner was out of class on the Thursday before break, so I paired up with Nicole and asked fifteen question to each other, based on what we each wanted to know about the other person. We came up with many different questions and answers to appease the 'customer' or the receiver of each of our products, our name cards. When asking, choosing, and answering questions, we Each of us, then, chose the facts/questions that we each valued the most, or wanted to know about out of the questions we had asked.

     Define: The week after break, when my partner returned, we scrapped the original questions we had chosen. Nicole sent the questions I asked to Justin, my partner, and I proceeded to choose the ones I was most curious about. Since Nicole had already chosen, we had to scrap that and redefine my original idea. We defined how we each wanted our notecards and clarified with each other throughout our Ideate process.

     Ideate: This is when we made a rough draft of our design, implementing the requests and user requirements. We each came up with a design based on the questions our partners had chosen and sketched it out. We showed it to each other and pointed out the good and bad points in each design, and where we could improve. After gaining the feedback from our partners, we separated off and got feedback from others. The two I had gotten feedback from were Aimee and Cindy. Cindy, who thinks alike to me, gave me helpful feedback, noting colours, and pointing out that my fish didn't really look like a fish and that I could improve. Aimee, who thinks different, gave feedback that I should use bright colours, to highlight the bold dark outline. This was really helpful, seeing as I never would have seen it or even thought of it otherwise. Afterwards, I revised the sketch, implementing feedback (seeing as I had used an erasable pen) then proceeded to Prototype.

    Prototype: I started to make my product, taking all the feedback I had gotten, and the revised draft, I slowly sketched out the image I wanted, more importantly, my partner had wanted to produce/receive (feedback! :D). I thought this part was the most fun, to actually be able to make the product and improve on the way there. The original sketch turned out well (thank goodness) and I was able to move on to colouring and tracing. In the tracing process, I had tried to erase a pencil mark underneath the sharpie before the sharpie dried, and lightly smudged a line of black. Luckily, I was able to fix this problem by colouring over. When I was done colouring, tracing, and erasing, I cut it out to resemble a sticker and attempted to paste it onto a black piece of construction paper, to make the colours 'pop' more. Instead of using a glue stick, as I should have, I used liquid glue, and accidentally poured out too much, making the paper and my drawing wrinkle, I really regret doing that, and wish I had been smarter to use a glue stick, or even tape.

     Test: I showed my finished prototype to my partner and a few others, and received feedback. It was an overall 'good' but there could still be improvement. I worked off the last few critiques I got and had in hand, the final prototype, my finished product.

Q2. Why did we learn Design Thinking Process (DTP) in Comp Sc class (in required Comp Sc class) and how would it be useful? How are Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) and DTP similar?

     We learn the Design Thinking Process because it will be extremely useful to us in the future, not only in Computer Science or Website Development, but in almost any profession that requires one to procure a product for a consumer. Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) and DTP are basically the same: to first receive user requirements, brainstorm and propose, receive and implement feedback, create prototypes, then test prototypes or ask for feedback to create a finalised product in which you are confident in handing to your customer.

Q3. Which step of DTP do you think in crucial to fulfilling user satisfaction? Why?

    I personally believe that Ideate is the most important step of DTP because it is where you refine and revise your original idea to better fit the consumer's ideals of the product.

Q4. If you were to repeat the project, how would you do it differently?

    I would have used a glue stick instead of liquid glue so the paper wouldn't warp, and wait for the sharpie to dry before erasing, causing the sharpie to smudge.
Q5. Which step did you enjoy the most? Why?

     I thoroughly enjoyed prototyping, the drawing, colouring was all very very fun for me, I hope I can do this type of project again in the near future.


No comments:

Post a Comment